What Documents Do You Need To Sell Your Home?
12/05/2022 12:00 AM 0

Selling a home requires a certain level of admin that can leave you groaning at the mere thought of it all. This is certainly true of all the documentation you need for a sale. Whether you are super organised, or super chill when it comes to this kind of stuff, here’s a handy little checklist of all the documents you will need when selling up. And just a heads up – if you want the sale process to be as quick as possible, start getting your paperwork together as early as possible to avoid any unnecessary delays further down the line.


You’ll need your ID to prove you’re not trying to do anything shady – like money laundering - so your solicitor will ask for your ID early on in the process. You will need proof of your address (usually a utility bill) plus some photographic identification, such as a valid passport of driving licence.


To prove that you actually own the home you are trying to sell you’ll need to get hold of your property title deeds. You might have these stored safely at home somewhere, but don’t worry if not you can ask either your current solicitor to get them via Land Registry, or the solicitor you used when you first bought your home is likely to have a copy.


If your property is leasehold (you own the property, but not the land it sits upon), then you’ll require a Management Information Pack. This can be obtained either through your solicitor or directly from your managing agent or freeholder. The pack contains information about the freehold, service charges and ground rent, and it can take between three to eight weeks to prepare, so give yourself plenty of time and request it early.


Your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a key document that assesses the amount of energy your home uses as well as it’s CO2 impact. This basically tells buyers whether your home is energy efficient and helps them make an informed decision on whether the house will be expensive to run or need improvements. An EPC will rate the energy efficiency of your home – from a G rating (not very efficient), up to an A for top marks in efficiency.

EPCs are valid for ten years, so you may already have one if you haven’t lived in your current home for longer than that. If not, an EPC can easily be arranged via Agreed for £90.


Otherwise known as a TA10, a fittings and contents form details what you agree will be included in the sale of your home. This could include things like white goods, furniture, outbuildings, trees or even ornaments. Having a clear inventory of what is included in the sale, room by room, will hopefully make for a smoother sale, with no nasty surprises later down the line leading your buyer to pull out.


Your property information form, a TA6, lists all the current details of your property, including documenting any current disputes with neighbours, where your boundaries are, notices about any planning proposals in your area, flood risk status, parking, connection to utilities etc. More and more authorities are moving towards automated searches, but make sure you leave up to a month for this documentation just in case.


When selling, you’ll need to provide details of your current mortgage, plus any other additional loans associated with your home. If you still have money left to pay on your mortgage, you will need to sign an undertaking – a promise that you will pay off the remaining balance via money from this sale, and that the buyer will not be liable for the amount remaining.


If you’ve added value to your home, by extending it, or adding a trendy log cabin in the garden, you’ll need to show proof that the work or renovations adhered to building regulations. Your buyers will need to be sure that what they are purchasing is both safe and will not need to be taken down at a later date.


Boilers can be expensive to replace, so buyers are likely to want to see a gas safe certificate and even a service history for your boiler. Similarly, it’s key that the electrics are safe and in good working order, so you may also be required to provide an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), which needs to be carried out by a competent professional.


If you’ve had your windows replaced from 2002 onwards, you will have been issued with a FENSA certificate, which shows that your fitters have complied with building regulations.

Getting all of your paperwork ready for a sale in one of the most valuable jobs you can do in the whole house selling process. It will save you unnecessary complications and delays further into the sale and will make for a quicker and more efficient sale. Not only will it lead to a stress-free experience for you, but you’ll find that you could have a chain of grateful house buyers delighted that their moves are transitioning smoothly. Winner winner!

Download Guide

Leave a comment

Add Comment

Are you looking to sell or let your property?

Are you looking to sell or let your property? List your property today through Agreed

List My Property